All Davis programs are designed to be enjoyable, using the individual’s natural creativity and gifts. Each program is individually tailored to the person’s goals and proceeds at their own pace. The tools given, techniques and solutions developed, and skills gained, work alongside and complement curriculums and can be integrated into school, university or workplace practices and requirements.
Davis Dyslexia Correction® Program
The Davis Dyslexia Correction® Program is made up of three parts.
- Intensive program A 30 hour, one on one program, usually over five or six days, using a fun, hands on and creative approach. The individual is given a method to help them see two dimensional symbols accurately. They learn techniques for stress and anxiety management, improved balance and coordination, and to provide clarity of hearing, thinking and speaking. Dyslexics are notoriously curious and need to understand how things work; so this natural ability is valued, strengthened and utilised in their dyslexia correction program.
- Post Program: On the final day of the program I train the client and the support person who will help them afterwards, and discuss the important home component of the program. It is self paced and designed to fit into their normal life. I also reinforce their new skills, understanding and knowledge they have acquired during the week. In the support training I outline the specific Davis reading and spelling exercises and the method used to permanently resolve confusion with letters and/or words. All this is negotiated towards a personally tailored timetable.
- Follow Up: After the program when the person has returned home to their normal activities, they will have at least two to three specific follow up sessions with me to assist them in the essential post program component. In addition to this, general support is available on an ongoing basis –either by phone or email – as needed.
- During a typical program, the individual masters letters to remove confusions that can trigger disorientation and mistakes when reading, writing or spelling.
- We also cover grammar, punctuation, and pronunciation, looking for certainty, understanding and mastery. Dictionary skills and spelling techniques are developed, along with skills that can be transferred into other areas of their life, and learning.
Results: Doing a Davis Dyslexia Correction® program may result in an increase in reading age and overall school/study performance or greater confidence and success in the workplace. Study results.
Davis Attention Mastery℠
Is an innovative, proven and effective drug free approach to identifying the source of the characteristics of ADD/ADHD, maximising the advantages and strengths, and reducing the incidence and need for the less desirable behaviours.
|Possible Weaknesses||Some Potential Strengths|
|difficulty concentrating on one thing at a time – easily distracted||multi tasking, quick thinking|
|restless||an active learner – learns best by moving,|
|poor concept of time||strongly focussed on particular tasks, goal-oriented, great researcher|
|disorganised||creative and innovative, inventive|
|lack of understanding of effect his behaviour has on others||or may be highly intuitive and empathetic, good self esteem, strong beliefs|
The core of a Davis Attention Mastery℠ Program addresses the missing or poor understanding of concepts such as change, cause, effect and consequence. This is achieved through an active and creative approach, with practical exercises, and application of the new learning in the home, and school/work environments as needed.
With tools to help focus, control anxiety and manage behaviour, a new way of being and behaving is established.
Davis Reading Program for Young Learners
“When someone masters something, it becomes a part of that person. It becomes part of the individual’s thought and creative process.” Ronald D. Davis
As the name suggests, this program was developed to cater for young children, usually between 5 and 8 years old, who may not be ready for a full Davis Dyslexia Correction® Program, but are having difficulty with learning to read and write.
- a way of being focussed to help them learn,
- a tool to help them relax and relieve anxiety
- mastery of all the individual letters of the alphabet,
They will begin to learn to read with
The program also includes parent participation, with training provided throughout for the parent, or other designated family member, to gain the skills needed to provide the child with ongoing quality support. They therefore need to be present for at least half of the time during a program.
There is extensive evidence that introducing and using Davis methods in the early years of learning can be most effective in reducing referrals to special education services and need for tutoring, with an increase in identification of the gifted and talented abilities of children.
Davis Maths Mastery℠
“In a maths problem, there are always three pieces of information. Two pieces are given. Doing Maths is simply finding the third piece of information.” ~ Ronald D. Davis
Some people have more difficulty with the symbols of numerals and operation signs, and the concepts involved in maths, than with words and letters, although difficulty reading accurately can have a direct bearing upon mathematical ability. This is particularly evident in word problems for school students. However, it can also impact tertiary studies and adults in the workplace in sometimes the most surprising ways.
- right-left orientation
- following directions (eg. maps or a set of instructions)
- learning to to tell the time
- being on time
- musical notation
- physical coordination in sports or dance
- remembering events in the correct sequence
from, The Gift of Learning, by Ronald D. Davis and Eldon M. Braun ©2003, used with permission.
In the Davis Maths Mastery℠ program, (which can be done after or separately to the Davis Dyslexia Correction® Program), the core concepts are unpacked in a relaxed yet in depth way.
The aim is to provide a thorough understanding of the mathematical processes in general, starting at the basics, experiencing success and moving on to achievement of new milestones and achieving their goals.
As with all Davis™ programs, it is one on one, individually tailored to meet the client’s needs and to address any difficulties that arise in the course of the program. Also consistent with all things Davis, is the creative, fun and hands on approach in a gentle, supportive and caring environment.
All Davis clients experience success as they might never have before.